Tuesday, October 13, 2015

First Email of the Second Year!

One year down, one to go. I don't really know how to feel. On my year mark day since I left home (October 8) Elder Boswell and I got home, planned and then I had to follow up for like 45 minutes and then I had to talk to some sister's in the district again and the AP's were at our flat talking to Elder Ma'a, so by the time I was finished with all of that it was 1030 and I went to bed and didn't even remember that it was my year mark until the next day!

But I do feel like it has been a long time since I've been home - but I've learned so much, like so much since I've been here, and I wouldn't trade the knowledge and experience I've gained (to use one of President Pilkington's expressions) for 1 million Pounds.

I also loved conference and have been re-reading the talks during study, it's great.

So now about our week. So first of all, I don't know if I told you about the district challenges that we've been having in the zone here, but last week our district won the challenge in the zone and the prize was that on Wednesday the Zone Leaders bought our whole district Fried Chicken! So that was great!

But unfortunately, this week our district lost a challenge and the consequence is that the Dewsbury District (whose district Leader is Elder Diaz btw, who was in my first flat in North Shields) is going to cut my hair. I'm scared, I think they're just going to cut it all off......

But yes, the highlight of the week of course, was Jenny's baptism! It was great! It was a joint Baptism with our ward and the Huddersfield 2nd ward where two ladies got baptized, and tons of people showed up, like 75 or so! It was great! We had a little program and two women sang ''I feel my Savior's Love'' and it was beautiful and after I asked Jenny how she like it and she just kept saying ''I can feel it in here'' pointing to her chest. It was great!

And then I got to perform the baptism and it went perfectly and the whole thing was just really nice and everyone was really happy!

So I've done a lot of district meetings that talk about success as a missionary. One of the most basic things that I always tell missionaries is a quote from Preach my Gospel on Page 10 that says ''Success as a missionary is measured primarily on your commitment'' and I emphasize that success is not measured by the number of people you baptize or the amount of lessons you teach etc.

But at the same time, this week I felt... successful! I feel like I was able to accomplish my purpose as a missionary. Jenny is an investigator that Elder Ma'a and I found, came to church the first time because we invited her, and I was there for every lesson that she received and I performed the baptism!

I truly feel like it says in Doctrine and Covenants 18: ''And if it so be that ye should labour all your days in crying repentance to this people and bring save it be ONE SOUL unto me, how great will be your joy with him (or her) in the Kingdom of my Father''

Fulfilled is the word I would describe for this week!

I love you guys! I miss you all! I miss you but I know that what I am doing right now is bigger and more important than anything else I could in my entire life.

One other scripture that I use a lot in trying to inspire missionaries is this in DC 15:6 ''And now behold I say unto you that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance into this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father. Amen.''
(These aren't direct quotes they're just taken from my memory right now so if they're worded incorrectly I'm sorry.. here's the actual scripture)

Funny knocking story: This one guy opened his door and he said he didn't believe in God so I asked him what he believed in and he said ''nature'' we had a bit more conversation where he told me that all religion is actually just about nature because ''it's just so.....     natural.''   

Anyways I love you guys!

Elder Thompson

With the candy cake Mom and Dad sent for my halfway mark


Baptism Day!


We had fish and chips with Elder's Sorenson and Lui after the baptism. ''Victory Lunch''





No comments:

Post a Comment